Candidates for Neck Lift Surgery
None of us want to look older than our actual age. Overtime, skin loses its elasticity and can begin to sag, making us appear older than we are. In the neck area particularly, an excess of fat and weakened muscles can leave us with hanging skin that resembles a turkey wattle. This may also occur in people who have recently lost a large amount of weight. Dr. Greg Gaines, a Gainesville plastic surgeon, offers neck lift surgery to patients who are suitable candidates for this procedure.
Are You a Candidate?
The ideal candidate for neck lift surgery is one who is in good health, overall. A candidate should be free of any health problems that would make surgery overly risky. The neck lift surgery is best for people who have excess skin and fatty tissue, as well as weakened muscles. Candidates should have realistic expectations of the results that the surgery can produce. For results that extend beyond the neckline to the entire facial area, Dr. Gaines may recommend to his patients in Gainesville facelift surgery.
What Is the Procedure?
Your neck lift surgery will be customized to your needs. You will be able to discuss your desires with your doctor. Make sure you communicate your wants and expectations. In general, a neck lift surgery will take two to three hours. There are two procedures that are generally done during a neck lift surgery.
- Cervicoplasty: This procedure is used to remove any excess skin. Incisions will be made and the excess skin will be removed. The remaining skin will be lifted into place and secured with tissue glue or stitches.
- Platysmaplasty: During this procedure, neck muscles are altered or removed. Incisions will be made to access the neck muscles, or platysma. The surgeon may alter the muscles, remove some of the muscle, or place permanent sutures to hold the tissue in place.
During a neck lift surgery, liposuction may also be used to remove excess fat from the neckline area.
It will take time to recover from a neck lift surgery. It is important to be patient and give yourself adequate time to recover. You do not want to compromise your health or the results of the surgery. Recovery time may vary, but typically patients can expect to return to work within ten to 14 days. Strenuous physical activity should be avoided for at least three weeks. For a home recovery, it is a good idea to have the following supplies on hand:
- Ice packs
- Loose, comfortable clothing that does not need to be pulled over your neck
- Antibacterial ointment for incision sites
- Pillows to keep your head propped at a comfortable position
Schedule an Appointment
Dr. Gaines has been offering the best care to his Gainesville patients for many years. He will listen to whatever concerns you may have about your appearance and help you make an informed decision about the best way to reach your desired appearance. Dr. Gaines offers both surgical and non-surgical procedures to leave you looking your best. Schedule an appointment today.